Sunday 30 August 2015

Meringue cake

I am calling this a meringue cake because I have no idea what to call it. I sat at home today thinking about what dessert to make for tonight's dinner. I did not want mousse (we have had that twice in one week), we had creme brûlée last night and the night before we had tuile baskets filled with fruits. I had a lemon sponge in the kitchen which I had not filled yet so I stumbled on an idea to make meringues then layer them on the cake the result was beautiful melt in the mouth dessert. The lemonnes of the sponge was lightly coming trough, mixing with the light airy meringue which was complimented by the chambord cream chantilly and the fresh burst of the fruits. Ah.........heaven!!
                               
                                       

Meringue Recipe
Preheat oven at 100C

3egg whites at room temp
175g caster sugar
50g icing sugar sifted

Cream chantilly
200ml double cream
1tbs caster sugar
5ml vanilla chambord (or vanilla extract will do)
Sponge
1 shop bought lemon sponge (creams and fillings sliced out/removed) (I make my own sponge). You
only need one half of the cake so you are better of making your own to avoid waste.

Whisk the egg yolks till they foam soft peaks
Gradually add the caster sugar whilst whisking at the same time 1tbs at a time)

When all sugar has been added, add the icing sugar and whisk
(I have now decided to add both sugars prior to whisking as this not only saves time but also minimises the chances of over whisking my meringues).Place meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 0.5cm nozzle

Cut the sponge into rectangles (size of choice) and divide each rectangle into two (lengthwise)
Pipe the meringue onto the cakes and bake in oven for 20minutes

When meringue is ready, allow to cool on cooling rack until you are ready to use.

Add cream, sugar and (vanilla extract or chambord) and whip until just firm
Pipe or scoop the cream onto the meringue, decorate with fruits and drizzle some berry coulis if you have some.

Enjoy







No comments:

Post a Comment